Contact Us
Creation Story

Creation Story

painting by Rik Berry

painting by Rik Berry

In 1798, a dedicated and visionary ‘circuit-riding’ preacher, Joseph ‘Father’ Crandall began preaching and teaching in southeastern New Brunswick.  By 1821, believers were gathering at the Free Meeting House in Moncton.  Crandall’s solid Biblical teaching and strong spiritual leadership led to a religious awakening in the area.  In 1827, believers began meeting in a local schoolhouse, not far from Lewisville Baptist Church’s present location.

This fellowship became part of First Baptist Church when it was organized in 1828.  Lewisville Baptists carried their membership in the Moncton Church and First Baptist provided pastoral ministry to Lewisville.  By 1854 however, it became evident that the Lewisville fellowship needed a church building in their own community, and in 1855 a new building was dedicated.

In 1905 the Lewisville Church became a separate organization.  In just over a decade, the building was enlarged to seat 350, the congregation tripled, and the church became debt free.  Early records show Lewisville’s financial responsibility and commitment to missionary work, with over half of all monies received being used for missionary purposes.

Lewisville’s story is one of dedication and faithfulness; both from God in His goodness, as well as the many people who make up the family at Lewisville.  This was demonstrated in 1929, when the church building was rebuilt after being completely destroyed by fire the previous year.   The building was destroyed but not the church. God is faithful.

Latest News

Subscribe to Rss